Monday, July 9, 2012

Let's Pretend this never Happened

If you are not familiar with Jenny Lawson AKA The Bloggess- she is a funny, insightful, twisted, broken, bizarre, totally normal gal who gets something like 3 MILLION hits a month on her blog. She’s a blogging icon people.  She suffers from crippling depression and is honest and candid about it. She has unbelievable off the wall scenarios fall into her lap. Many self-induced some too crazy to make up. She has a totally disturbing love for taxidermied animals. Like Juanita the Weasel, a baby crocodile dressed like a pirate and some kind of mounted boar named James Garfield. She got her husband a SLOTH for their anniversary. She has an obsession with Will Wheaton collating paper, she loves the F word, she has insane conversations with her husband and she is kind of mostly always inappropriate. You will love her. Probably.  Run on over to her site: http://thebloggess.com/  and join the fun.

Jenny has  written a book called Let’s Pretend this Never Happened; A Mostly True Memoire. It debuted at #1 on the New York Times Best Seller list and continues to ride waves of success. I was very excited when I finally got my hands on this book. In the beginning I loved it, in the end I loved it. But...in the middle I was losing focus. Not because it’s not good- it really is, it was just too much for me all at once and it became too fantastical and over the top for me to enjoy. However, I was not going to give up on her. I kept thinking that I enjoy her blog posts so much that it would be a disservice to just stop reading and write a bad review (that she will likely never read, but could because random stuff happens) and have it come back to haunt me some day (in what way I have no clue but again- randomness seems to plague me). SO- I took a step back, took a couple of days off, and then read a chapter, took another couple of days and read two more etc. At that point it redeemed itself and then some. Her writing is creative and her stories too much. Too much bizarre, too much crazy and too much funny- in a very good way.

Go to her site, read her book and be prepared to be simultaneously entertained, offended, horrified, amazed and awed. She's pretty awesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment