Friday, June 8, 2012

Living Through Reading

My heart swells when I think of books and reading. I love reading like I love a person. Its weird but true. Books have always been there for me. Some may let me down, but they are always reliable and always there. I'm always allowed to escape into them. They open doors and ideas and lifestyles I'd never know of without them. I don't just read a book. I experience a book.

One thing I really love about reading is relating to and “becoming” a character. Either through self identification or just sheer amazing writing where you have no choice but to live in the pages. These books make me feel like I am actually living the story- not just flipping through physical pages. I often find myself picking up on mannerisms or accents or using the language style in my daily life when I’m reading a book like this. Pride and Prejudice one of my all time favorite novels for example causes me to spout random 19th century English- both in my head and out loud. Gone With the Wind brings a twang to my voice and I have to remind myself that I am not a Southern Belle. Language is enchanting and it can make all the difference.

Another thing I love is being transported. When a book is well written and characters well developed, I get lost. These are the books I can read for hours and feel like 15 minutes have passed. When everything else fades away and your mind creates landscapes and faces and color and being. I look up from these books at times and am truly surprised to find that I am not in fact at Hogwarts with Harry and the gang or observing Leisel Meminger with the Grimm Reaper in World War II Europe.  When I finally drag myself away from these books I long to be back in them with every fiber of my being.

Getting that feeling while reading a book is like true love. It sticks with you for all time. That is one of the reasons I feel sorry for people who do not read. They really don't know what they are missing.

Oh and I finished Fifty Shades of Grey. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. That's pretty much all I have to say about it that I haven't already said. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment